Friday, September 9, 2011

A Center for Learning

This week, I took a step outside my comfort zone:  I called the Learning Center and made an appointment with a tutor. You see, this was a BIG step for an honors student used to being on the tutor side of the equation. However, I have already gotten to the point in my statistics class where I feel slightly lost. So I decided to be proactive instead of failing…

Believe me, it’s SO worth it! I took a friend with me so I wouldn’t lose my courage, but the tutors at the BSU Learning Center are great. At least the one we had was; I even knew one of the other guys and he probably would have done a good job too. Once we got started with the questions I had, all my fears melted away. Suddenly, probability and distribution functions seemed so much easier! They have tutors in other areas too: Core Curriculum; Math, Physics, Accounting, and Economics; Study Strategies; and Writing.

Honestly, all it took was for someone to explain the notes in a different way. Granted, I haven’t taken the exam yet, but I feel much more confident going into it than I did a few days ago. So if you want my advice (and this is good stuff, folks!), pick up the phone and call before your grades start to suffer. It’s worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Your Uncle Steve is proud of you for getting help outside "the family" for this class. It was hard enough getting your mom to understand chickens, hens and rooster! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: Thanks to repeated visits to the Learning Center and much studying, I earned A's on my last two stats test after a C on the first one! So you see, it IS possible to turn your hardest class around into a good grade!

    ReplyDelete