Monday, September 19, 2011

Career Fair

Every year, there are several opportunities for BSU students to meet and network with companies looking to hire college graduates. Another perk of these events is that many of these companies also have internships available for undergrads. That’s why I attended the most recent Fall Career Fair last week.

At first, I really thought it was unnecessary for me to attend the job fair. Why would I go if I don’t need a job yet? Then I went and realized how beneficial it was. First, though, I had to develop my resume. This was kind of a big deal because I had no idea where to begin. Fortunately, Ball State has an excellent resource for students:  the Career Center. This is a place where students can explore job and internship opportunities, as well as find assistance with interview skills and resume creation.

The Miller Honors Program sets up a “resume workshop” just before this career fair to help us prepare – a benefit of being selected for this program! I learned everything I needed to know to create a basic resume for the fair.

Like I said before, I really didn’t think I would need to be at the career fair. In some ways, I was right. As a sophomore, many companies weren’t interested in even hiring an intern my age. However, they still took my resume and made a note for next year. The benefits started coming in because I was able to make those contacts already for internships I may be interested in next time around. Also, there was less pressure to perform, because I’m just a sophomore. It made a good experience being able to practice networking with real recruiters, even though they won’t be interested until next year.

The moral of the story is that no matter your year, attend a career fair for the experience! There are more coming up this year - check them out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment