Saturday, November 6, 2010

It's A Classic

Last weekend, I competed at my first ballroom competition! When I came to Ball State, I joined the Ballroom Dance League to learn some new styles of dance. The very first lesson was in Rumba, and we’ve been learning Cha Cha the past few weeks.

I loved it so much I decided to compete at the Purdue Classic last weekend. My partner, Chase, and I competed in Newcomer American Rumba, which is the entry-level amateur division. There were over 90 couples in our division. Talk about competition! I don’t know about Chase, but I had some nerves. Even after all the dancing I’ve done in my life, this was a whole new world. All that mattered, though, was showing what we knew and having fun while doing it.

Chase and I made it to the second round! After we had so much fun the first time, I was glad to get to dance again. It was just as fun the second time, but that was as far as we got.

The competition itself was so much fun, and I especially enjoyed watching the Gold and Silver levels compete (those are the highest divisions). Maybe someday! I definitely want to compete again and try more styles this time.

Here’s a video of our first round for you. I’m in the purple top. Thanks to Laci for videotaping it!

2 comments:

  1. Although I hate to correct you on your own blog, Gold and Silver levels aren't actually the highest. In ascending order, the ballroom competitive levels are:


    - Pre-Bronze (Newcomer)
    - Bronze
    - Silver
    - Gold
    - Novice
    - Pre-Champ
    - Champ


    What you said about the stiff competition is very correct. In my experience with competitions, which is over four years, the competitors in the Bronze level were dancing well enough to be competing in Gold. I love how instead of being discouraged, everyone in Ballroom Dance League got really inspired by what kind of dancing their training could lead to.

    Very good job out there on the dance floor and I really do hope you continue to compete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, David! I was unaware of the true upper levels of competition, but now I know - learn something new everyday!

    Just as a side note, David is President of the Ballroom Dance League at BSU. He does a great job with the organization and certainly knows more about ballroom than I do!

    ReplyDelete