Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dance Auditions

Last year, when I applied to Ball State, I hadn’t really decided about minoring in dance. By the time I did decide, it was too late to audition. The Department of Theatre and Dance audition days are in November and February. So, I just had to wait until November of this year to audition. This past Saturday was the first round of auditions for Fall 2011 (or Spring for current students). There were students auditioning for dance majors and minors, musical theatre, and acting.

The (early) morning began with a performance by the cast of Company, a musical production currently being put on at University Theatre, and a performance by the cast of The Nutcracker ballet being performed in December. The students were great and seeing them got us excited to get started.

The dance and musical theatre students stayed in the studio for the dance portion. We began with a jazz combination, then tap (which was optional), and finally ballet barre work. As the musical theatre students left, the dance students continued with ballet at the barre and floor work. All that was left was a modern combination and we were finished! It was a whirlwind morning, but so exciting.

I loved the feeling of dancing those styles in a class setting again. It’s been awhile! For dance minors, the audition is more about class placement than anything. They look at where you are and determine in which level you belong. I’m not sure if I will be taking any dance classes next semester, mainly because course request is now over, so most classes will be full, and I already have a full load. There is always an Add/Drop period when you can change your schedule up until the first week of classes though. So who knows?

As always, feel free to leave comments! I love hearing thoughts and suggestions for my blog. Also, if you have questions about campus life, please ask! If I don’t have an answer, I can direct you to someone who does.

No comments:

Post a Comment