Thursday, October 14, 2010

Capture Life

“John was a lamp that gave off brilliant light. For a time you enjoyed the pleasure of his light.” John 5:35


John was my next door neighbor in my hometown. At 16, he was killed by a drunk driver. That event changed my life. I would go on to help found my high school’s chapter of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) to make a difference in the lives of my classmates. His family had green bracelets made that read “Capture Life” because one of John’s hobbies was photography. He was an incredible young man. John’s death inspired me to “capture life” the way he did.

It’s been four years today since the world lost John. I find it hard to imagine that I have lived 3 years longer than he had the chance to. But I’m finding myself approaching the college experience in a different way than I might have if it hadn’t been for him. I never wanted to try alcohol in high school, nor do I want to today. I believe that life is better when you are in control. I think there’s a lesson to be learned here. Drinking underage and especially driving drunk just are not worth the consequences.

College poses challenges every day, particularly in making the right decisions. It would be so easy to choose to go out and party all night on the weekends. But why make those kinds of choices when there are so many other ways to have fun on campus, without alcohol? Trust me, my friends and I don’t need drugs or alcohol to enjoy ourselves!

Each day, I am choosing to not only live my life, but to “Capture Life.”

1 comment:

  1. What a thoughtful way to honor John and his family today! I am so proud of you and what you learned from that tragedy. Sure wish more people would understand that alcohol and drugs aren't necessary to "capture life."

    ReplyDelete