Monday, September 27, 2010

Swing Dancing

One of the first clubs I joined when I came to Ball State was the Swing Society. My roommate, Becca, learned swing with her friends at home and told me I should give it a try. With my love of dance, I thought why not?

So we went to the call out meeting the first week, learned a few moves, and turns out I love swing dancing! The basic steps are simple and easy to pick up. It’s such a fun, social style of dancing. I’ve been going to lessons every week since!

My favorite part about swing club is the Friday night dances at Fountain Square. It’s in a historic part of downtown Indianapolis in an old theater building that’s been converted for receptions and parties. Every other Friday night they have swing lessons and then dancing for three hours. There is even a LIVE band!

Fountain Square

The first time we went, the band was the Ball State Jazz Band and they did a fantastic job. The whole place was filled with Cardinals! This last time, we took some of Becca’s friends along with us and they had a great time. It’s fun to share such a cool place with our friends.

Swing dancing has become my favorite thing to do in the evenings. Becca and I look forward to Mondays and (every other) Friday now; we call these our “bookend days” for the week!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Are you on that dance floor somewhere? What did you wear that night, maybe I can pick you out? This looks like a blast, and I'm sure you picked it right up.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,
    It is a blast. Fountain Square is one of the best places to go if you want to learn a ton of new moves. I was actually behind the camera in this video, but I love being out on the floor too!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..
    It look so exciting to be there, It's so fun together with those people dancing..cool! thanks for the post:)

    ReplyDelete